Post offices Request a Disclosure Document
Licensed Post Offices are considered franchises under the Franchising Code of Conduct.
Each year, Australia Post is obliged under the Franchising Code of Conduct to prepare a disclosure document for every Licensed Post Office.
Australia Post must provide a copy of the disclosure document to prospective Licensees at least 14 days before the incoming Licensee takes over the LPO.
Under the terms of the Franchising Code of Conduct, Australia Post is required to provide disclosure documents to existing franchisees (Licensees) within 14 days of request. The disclosure document must be updated annually, within four months of the end of the financial year.
This means that Australia Post must have an up-to-date disclosure document prepared for each LPO by 31 October each year. Licensees should request an up-to-date disclosure document from Australia Post each year. By requesting the disclosure document at the beginning of November Licensees will guarantee that they receive the most recent disclosure document relating to their business.
Some of the information included in the disclosure document includes:
- details of the franchisor (Australia Post), including the business experience of Australia Post management
- any plans Australia Post may have to establish another outlet nearby
- details of any litigation involving Australia Post
Current Licensees should mark it on the calendar – request a disclosure document every year from Australia Post. Note that current Licensees can only request a disclosure document from Australia Post once every 12 months.
POAAL has prepared a pro forma letter that Licensees can use to request a copy of the disclosure document from Australia Post.
- Bags and trays pro forma
- Carded articles pro forma
- Carded parcels storage advice
- Franchising dispute resolution
- Mail Management Fee
- PO Box installation
- Request a Disclosure Document
- Stock delivery issues
- Industrial relations
- Franchising Code of Conduct
- LPO assignment letters
- POMS Data Collection Report
- LPO Arrangements Payment Scheme
- Looking to buy a post office?
Become a POAAL member
POAAL provides support and services for Licensees and Franchisees (Post Office Owners), Mail & Parcel Contractors and Couriers.